FIND HELP IS PROVIDED BY THE PARTNERS FOR MENTAL HEALTH @ http://www.partnersformh.ca/resources/find-help/


Don’t be afraid to reach out to get help if you think you need it. There’s no need to feel ashamed or uncomfortable. There are people across the country ready to help you, many of whom have been in circumstances like yours and can personally relate.

If you need help right away:

  • Visit your local emergency department or call 911

  • Contact a crisis centre

  • Contact Kids Help Phone (1-800-668-6868) or go online (kidshelpphone.ca).

    Canada’s only free, national, bilingual, anonymous and confidential phone and online professional counseling service for youth (for ages 20 and under). They have access to a database of over 37,000 local resources and deal with big or small concerns, 24/7, 365 days a year.

    To reach a Kids Help Phone professional counsellor from any community in Canada, call 1-800-668-6868 or go online at kidshelpphone.ca at any time.

Other immediate resources include:

  • Call 211 if you are in Alberta (Calgary, Edmonton), British Columbia, Ontario or Quebec

    Provides free, confidential, multilingual access to information about the full range of community, social, health and government services in your area.

    All 211 calls are answered by live operators who assess each caller’s needs and link them to the best available services and programs, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

  • Visit eMentalHealth.ca

    eMentalHealth.ca provides a directory of mental health assistance, resources and events sorted by province and community. It offers anonymous, confidential and trustworthy information, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

  • Contact your local health clinic or local hospital that provides mental health services.

  • Contact your local chapter of the Canadian Mental Health Association: cmha.ca/get-involved/find-your-cmha

  • Check the front page of your telephone book for a phone number of a crisis hotline or community service referral agency.

Additional resources information

  • Family doctor: A family doctor is often a good place to start. He or she can help you find professional help. With a little preparation, you can get the most out of your visit. For help with this preparation, check out this link: mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/basics/preparing-for-your-appointment/con-20033813

  • Psychiatrist: A psychiatrist is a medical doctor specially trained in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses. He/she may treat your problems with medication or by psychotherapy (sometimes called "talk therapy"), or a combination of both. Your family doctor may give you a referral.

  • Psychologist: A psychologist has an advanced degree from a university but not a medical degree. He/she will use counselling and other methods that do not involve the use of medications. Should you decide to seek help from a psychologist, you don’t need a referral from your family doctor.

  • Counsellor / Psychotherapist: A counsellor/psychotherapist has an advanced degree or specialized post-secondary training in the skilled use of relationships to help effect positive change and to stabilize or enhance well-being.  Counselling/psychotherapy addresses decision-making, coping with crisis, developing personal insights, working through inner conflict, or improving relationships.  You do not need a referral to seek help from a counsellor/psychotherapist.
  • Social Worker: A registered social worker has specialized post-secondary education and must participate in continued professional learning and skills development to fulfil the requirements of their professional provincial regulatory body. Social workers provide services as members of a multidisciplinary team or on a one-to-one basis with the client, depending on the settings in which they work. They may provide counselling, psychotherapy, rehabilitative or assessment services, or provide referrals to the appropriate services.

  • Psychiatric / Mental Health Nurse: Nurses who specialize in psychiatric and mental health care work in inpatient treatment centres, for crisis lines, and in the community. They may have a range of specialized education from a certificate in psychiatric and mental health nursing to an advanced university degree. Psychiatric/mental health nurses provide counselling, case management, crisis intervention, education, medication therapy, as well as biopsychosocial assessment and care planning. 
  • Peer Support / Self-Help Group: for many people living with mental illness, self-help and peer support can be important elements of recovery because of the support they can offer through shared experiences. To find out if there’s a local self-help or peer support group that can meet your needs, contact your local Canadian Mental Health Association branch (cmha.ca/get-involved/find-your-cmha) or another community agency. Other local organizations that provide peer support include CHANNAL (Consumers Health Awareness Network Newfoundland and Labrador, channal.ca) or WCMHN (West Coast Mental Health Network Society, wcmhn.org).

  • Help From Friends And Others: Another source of support can be a trusted family member, a close friend or a member of the clergy for your religion. People close to you may also be able to point you in the direction of the help you need.